HISTORY – CREATING JOY SINCE 1948
Giovanni Bocchetta is interviewd by newspaper
Bocchetta Plush Toys was established in 1948, in Arona, a small town on Lake Maggiore, in Piemont, a Region in northwest Italy.
Our founders are Giovanni Bocchetta and Clementina Ottobrini. Giovanni was a wood designer by trade and Celementina was a seamstress who, as a young girl, understudied as a seamstress and designer in a tailor’s shop.
The young couple met at a doll factory where they both worked. Giovanni was a traveling toy-salesman and involved in the manufacturing process and Clementina was in charge of the cutting and sewing departments for rag dolls.
They got married in 1941, during the Second World War, and continued to work at the factory until they decided, in 1948, to start up their own small business.
Bocchetta Plush Toys began on the ground floor of their home – where they lived with their two little children, Maria Lina and Luigi. It was an old villa, named Isola Caprera (so-called by its former owner, a veteran of Garibaldi’s army of the Risorgimento War for the Unity of Italy in the Seventeenth Century). The building stood in the middle of a great meadow surrounded by a private boundary hedge mixed with honeysuckle flowers. The villa had an orchard with several fruit trees and a vegetable garden which fed the family during the start-up phase of their business.
Learn more about our history